Abilene Atheist Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am Darrell

2 posters

Go down

I am Darrell Empty I am Darrell

Post by eukota Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:30 pm

Greetings!

Just found this forum today. What a cool idea by the AAA.

My name is Darrell Ross. I was raised without religion in various locations on the west coast - never lived anywhere more than six years. In 2009, my wife and I moved from Northern California to Abilene - what a shock.

On the west coast, religion is absent from everyday conversation. It is not something discussed in general without explicitly asking. I have no idea what religion most of my west coast friends are and most folks I know who are religious or count themselves religious keep their religion back beyond the fantasy line so it doesn't interfere with reality.

So Abilene was really tough for me. There were no atheist groups at the time. I helped two other couples start one I think around 2010 - the Abilene Atheist Community. For me, it was frightening being an atheist in Abilene. I kept it to myself mostly but also found it hard to be friends with the theists as they were so far into fantasy land.

Sharyn and I have since moved to Seattle, WA. But I still work for the company out of Abilene Texas so I come back a couple times/year to visit. It is such a relief to be out of Abilene. It is hard being an atheist in a land where religion controls everything. My hat is off to those who manage to do it for years without going crazy.

Cheers,
Darrell

eukota
Mysterious Lurker

Back to top Go down

I am Darrell Empty Re: I am Darrell

Post by thedreadpiratesarah1 Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:52 pm

congrats on finally getting out lol

thedreadpiratesarah1
Mysterious Lurker

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: