Abilene Atheist Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My article about the importance of teaching abiogenesis theory (not just evolution) and one way to go about it

3 posters

Go down

My article about the importance of teaching abiogenesis theory (not just evolution) and one way to go about it  Empty My article about the importance of teaching abiogenesis theory (not just evolution) and one way to go about it

Post by SGTex Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 pm

SGTex
Diapered Websurfer

Back to top Go down

My article about the importance of teaching abiogenesis theory (not just evolution) and one way to go about it  Empty Re: My article about the importance of teaching abiogenesis theory (not just evolution) and one way to go about it

Post by Timinator Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Awesome, Noel! I had no idea it was so simple (though for me likely very difficult) to produce such results in a lab! 

I was under the impression that abiogenesis was still a mostly theoretical concept, but I suppose it's all the Creationists that have been rattling my brain...
Timinator
Timinator
Technology Director

https://abileneatheists.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

My article about the importance of teaching abiogenesis theory (not just evolution) and one way to go about it  Empty Re: My article about the importance of teaching abiogenesis theory (not just evolution) and one way to go about it

Post by SGTex Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Well, naturally creationists (and unfortunately the occasional noncreationist) have tried to discredit the significance of Fox's historic work.  The microspheres are of course vastly less complex than living cells, but I am satisfied they represent an example of the sort of thing that transpired early on...

SGTex
Diapered Websurfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Timinator Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:08 pm

A creationist friend of mine linked me this article in regards to the Fox Model. I realize this is a creation site, commenting on an article from 1976, but I would be curious what you would have to say in rebuttal to it. 

http://creation.com/life-from-lifeor-not
Timinator
Timinator
Technology Director

https://abileneatheists.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gannster Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:19 pm

SGTEX, how does this tie in with the idea of an original non-cellular "protolife" consisting of RNA or DNA only [similar to protoviruses and viruses]

Gannster
Scribe

Back to top Go down

My article about the importance of teaching abiogenesis theory (not just evolution) and one way to go about it  Empty abiogenesis

Post by SGTex Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:02 am

T & G, thanks for your input!  Too late at night just now, but will discuss this with relish soon!  Just about my favorite topic...

SGTex
Diapered Websurfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SGTex Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:20 am

Timinator and Gannster   The linked creationist article is lame as hell (how surprising!).  For a long while they have relied on equating  abiogenesis or molecular evolution theory with the absurdity of "spontaneous generation" that once propagated when science was young. That ploy is actually facile strawman fallacy; I hope they never give it up since it makes them look like morons.  Yes, noncellular "protolife" is an apt term for the coevolution of nucleic acid and protein as they arrayed on the nano "scaffolding" of crystal surfaces (see also calcite's role in "sorting" the L- and D- forms of amino acids, Hazen et al. in about 2000) and clays.  Enzyme-like molecular "action" or "work" spontaneously (if there is such a thing) attained cyclic processes in which products happened to catalyze the reactions that produced them.  At this level, molecular species had relative "success" if their reaction was so perpetuated, a kind of competition for "survival."  I still feel Fox's proteinoid microsystems represent an important part of the foundation; one pictures those membranous bubbles or blobs rolling over the more 2-dimensional molecules involved in cyclic syntheses and confining such goings-on, affording a primordial cell membrane function. 

SGTex
Diapered Websurfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down