Abilene Atheist Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why I am an Atheist

Go down

Why I am an Atheist Empty Why I am an Atheist

Post by Timinator Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:07 am

Ultimately, religion is built entirely on faith in the unseen. While this can be considered noble by some, I personally would prefer to throw out my rose colored glasses and see the world for how it truly is, instead of how I want to see it. This can be extremely difficult, especially when you have invested so much into that faith, and have built so much of your life on that unstable foundation. But ultimately I feel so much more at peace now that I have discarded my religion. Why should I base my existence on something that I have to dive deep into faith in the unseen just to understand? Why should I devote much of my time, energy, indeed my life itself on something that only MIGHT be true? What if I'm wrong? What if the Bible really is just a bunch of old stories and nothing more? Isn't that a waste? Isn't there something much more real and fulfilling than that? 

I recall the story Jesus told about the two men, one who built his house on the Sand, and one who built his house on the Rock (Matthew 7:24-27). Isn't the Bible the foundation that's truly unstable here? I mean, how can anything made out of paper be a "solid rock". There is no evidence for any of it being true if you take off those rose colored glasses. In fact, much of history, science and the evidence we see today completely contradicts what the Bible has to say about those matters. Not only that, but the Bible contradicts itself constantly, and so much of the rest of it is extremely vague, with large sections being entirely dependent on the customs of the day. Just the fact that there are so many different denominations and sects today preaching entirely different messages and arguing over the meanings in the Bible is testament to this. If you really want to build the foundation of your life as a solid rock, start with Science, Logic, and Reason. Building your foundation on such an ancient manuscript so far attached from reality is what it truly means to build a castle on the sand. Parts will crumble on a regular basis, and you will have to be spending tons of time rebuilding them, and convincing even yourself that your faith is real. 

I have heard many Christians say that the only way to be content in life is to believe in Jesus, but I have found the exact opposite to be true. Lives built on Jesus are so fragile and frail, people in the church are always trying to pretend to be someone they're not, so unhappy and filled with negative emotions, completely reliant on their prayers and holy book to lift them up. Since I have found the light of Atheism, my life improved dramatically, to the point that my battles with depression were over, I didn't find myself worrying about things I used to, and most importantly, I am finally free to be myself and who I truly want to be, doing goodness from the bottom of my heart, not because some ancient manuscript told me to, but because that's what I truly want. It's not faith in God's Word that makes us free; on the contrary, irrational beliefs chain us down. True freedom is seeing the world and the people around you as they truly are, and making your own decisions in life.
Timinator
Timinator
Technology Director

https://abileneatheists.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down